login.php?sid=4af3d6dbf640b59f386a4ced3b5ca6eb profile.php?mode=register&sid=4af3d6dbf640b59f386a4ced3b5ca6eb faq.php?sid=4af3d6dbf640b59f386a4ced3b5ca6eb memberlist.php?sid=4af3d6dbf640b59f386a4ced3b5ca6eb search.php?sid=4af3d6dbf640b59f386a4ced3b5ca6eb index.php?sid=4af3d6dbf640b59f386a4ced3b5ca6eb Timeslip Database

FastGM.com Forum Index » Lowcountry Lounge » Tree Removal
Tree Removal
PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2011 2:40 pm Reply with quote
Ken
Scallywag

I need some help with some yard work so if anyone is interested or, if you know of anyone who does this kind of stuff please let me know. I also have to have a tree removed at some point which is a separate issue.

I provide all the equipment etc.

PM me if you have anything for me.

Ken

Last edited by Ken on Sun Jul 17, 2011 7:57 pm; edited 1 time in total
What A Coinkedink
PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2011 8:43 pm Reply with quote
Ken
Scallywag

I happened to bump into someone who does yard work today when I went out to run some errands. I have made arrangements to get this work taken care of. Why this didn't happen yesterday or the day before, I will ponder for some time to come.

Thanks for all the PMs and calls, you guys are the best.

Ken
PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2011 7:42 pm Reply with quote
Ken
Scallywag

Well the YW is done.

Now, that's taken care of, anyone know of anyone who does tree removal?

Gum trees don't look like a honkin big pain in the ass at first, but if you've ever had em on your property and even worse near the foundation of your house well, you might know why I'm ask'in.

Ken
PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2011 10:02 pm Reply with quote
Diggler
GM fanatic

all i will say for a gum tree is.... leave the stump in the ground and have it ground below grade so you can cover it with dirt. i just dug a stump up in my back yard recently.... ~10k lb. root ball roughly 10ftx10ftx5ft. trunk diameter was roughly 25" in diameter.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2011 10:04 pm Reply with quote
Coppertop8705
GM fanatic

Diggler wrote:
all i will say for a gum tree is.... leave the stump in the ground and have it ground below grade so you can cover it with dirt. i just dug a stump up in my back yard recently.... ~10k lb. root ball roughly 10ftx10ftx5ft. trunk diameter was roughly 25" in diameter.

sounds like a nice hole to hide the civic in lol
PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2011 10:18 pm Reply with quote
Ken
Scallywag

Diggler wrote:

I think Hugo took the top out of this one but I didn't have the house then. Being as close as it is to the house it could happen again.

The real problem is that a large root or roots has under-minded a small slab at the back door (it's visibly tilted) but I think it is also pushing up the main slab as there are some cracks in the interior sheet rock. Also a couple of years ago on that side of the house (the back side) a copper pipe sprung a leak out of no where. This might or might not have had to do with movement of the slab.

I never had it quoted but years ago I knew a couple of people who did tree removal on the side and it was my impression it cost hundreds of dollars but someone told me today that it now costs thousands (and I don't mean 1 or 2).

One thing I thought about was to dig down between the tree and patio slab and I'm sure I'd find a big root there and cut that bitch, let it rot and things might settle back in place. But these damn trees put out so many roots near ground level it might be a lot of work for nothing. As for the stump I was told it is possible to drill holes in it and put some sort of tree killing shit in there to speed up the rot process...don't know if that works or not.

I like to slap whoever built this house and didn't have the foresight to see what would happen over time if this kind of tree was left that close to a slab.

What's up Diggster?

Ken
PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2011 10:27 pm Reply with quote
Diggler
GM fanatic

there was a couple of roots 12-15" in diameter at the base of that stump. if your tree is the size of mine, you pretty much have a car parked under your yard, no joke. i would imagine you would need a pretty large excavator to get it out of there. i have a 9k lb. capacity forklift that wont move my stump. i can tip it over, though.

not sure what to suggest on the concrete slabs getting messed up... it would take quite a few years for the root to rot out if you severed it. burning is not much of an option since aparantly you need to wait a couple of years for the stump to dry out enough to be flammable. (mine wont burn after being unearthed for around 2 months now) might just have to add the cost of a new pad to the cost of the tree removal. big excavator is about the best choice im thinking.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2011 10:50 pm Reply with quote
Ken
Scallywag

Actually getting rid of the stump is not that big of a deal (whether to do it or not) and actually I see that if it was sawed off fairly level or could be made so it could function as a bench, or a place to sit potted plants whatever. All things considered I think digglering down and cutting the root/s would be an effective solution to the slab problem and while it would be a lot of work I think it would cost a helluva lot less than taking the tree down. I'd need to be sure that if the tree or a big branch fell on the house my homeowners ins would cover it.

With a root ball like you are talking about I bet your tree is not a gum tree, or is it?

Ken
PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2011 8:10 am Reply with quote
Diggler
GM fanatic

Ken wrote:
With a root ball like you are talking about I bet your tree is not a gum tree, or is it?

Ken

yup, sweet gum. i started looking around for info on sweet gum stumps and its fairly common to have a huge root ball. there is no "tap root" on mine. its just all over the place.

FastGM.com Forum Index » Lowcountry Lounge