login.php?sid=a4360bc0c55e50805ca8f464a8ec253c profile.php?mode=register&sid=a4360bc0c55e50805ca8f464a8ec253c faq.php?sid=a4360bc0c55e50805ca8f464a8ec253c memberlist.php?sid=a4360bc0c55e50805ca8f464a8ec253c search.php?sid=a4360bc0c55e50805ca8f464a8ec253c index.php?sid=a4360bc0c55e50805ca8f464a8ec253c Timeslip Database

FastGM.com Forum Index » Lowcountry Lounge » Got killed by a new Camaro yesterday Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Got killed by a new Camaro yesterday
PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2011 10:04 am Reply with quote
BL96TA
GM fanatic

It was a new Camaro SS, probably one of the best ive seen around (Black). I was following behind him and the light infront of us turned red and luckly there were two empty lanes. He pulled over to the empty lane to the right putting me on his left. When I saw him pull to the right lane i laughed because i knew what it ment. Now mind you my car is a stock LT1 save for a cut out and ram air induction set up. I have owened my car now for almost a year and have not raced it once. I knew if I raced I would loose but knowing the new camaro's are heavy and from what ive heard prone to wheel hop I figured what the hell, lets just see how I fair to what i can only guess is a stock 2010/2011 SS Camaro. Light turns green and i gradually roll into the gass to avoid wheel spin and then hammer it. The SS had a good launch and put half a car on me from the start. After the initial jump we stayed pretty even in distance all through 1st. Shift into second and the SS pulled another car before we got to third. Didn't spend too long in 3rd because that was a really good gear for him! He straight up walked me in 3rd, the car and a half he had on me quickly went to 3 cars. Knowing it would just get worse I got out of the gas.

I have long tube headers that ill install once i get the rest of the exhaust set up and then when I get them put on ill buy a 3600 stall. With those mods I think if we did that race over id be able avoid giving any ground up from the stop through first and hold my own until the top of second where im sure the new SS would start putting distance on me. If im going to hang in third ill need a cam and tune for sure.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2011 11:31 am Reply with quote
Illusions
GM fanatic

Sorry for the loss you experienced against the new Camaro. I do have to say the little red blazer does fairly well against them. biggrin

--------------------
PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2011 11:53 am Reply with quote
Shon Herron
GM fanatic

LS motors FTMFW
Re: Got killed by a new Camaro yesterday
PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2011 12:31 pm Reply with quote
lxtasy
GM fanatic

BL96TA wrote:
It was a new Camaro SS, probably one of the best ive seen around (Black). I was following behind him and the light infront of us turned red and luckly there were two empty lanes. He pulled over to the empty lane to the right putting me on his left. When I saw him pull to the right lane i laughed because i knew what it ment. Now mind you my car is a stock LT1 save for a cut out and ram air induction set up. I have owened my car now for almost a year and have not raced it once. I knew if I raced I would loose but knowing the new camaro's are heavy and from what ive heard prone to wheel hop I figured what the hell, lets just see how I fair to what i can only guess is a stock 2010/2011 SS Camaro. Light turns green and i gradually roll into the gass to avoid wheel spin and then hammer it. The SS had a good launch and put half a car on me from the start. After the initial jump we stayed pretty even in distance all through 1st. Shift into second and the SS pulled another car before we got to third. Didn't spend too long in 3rd because that was a really good gear for him! He straight up walked me in 3rd, the car and a half he had on me quickly went to 3 cars. Knowing it would just get worse I got out of the gas.

I have long tube headers that ill install once i get the rest of the exhaust set up and then when I get them put on ill buy a 3600 stall. With those mods I think if we did that race over id be able avoid giving any ground up from the stop through first and hold my own until the top of second where im sure the new SS would start putting distance on me. If im going to hang in third ill need a cam and tune for sure.

Throw the checkbook at it. That will make it kick its ass.Converter, tune, full exhaust and h/c/i should put a smile on your face and make the newer camaro's kick themselves in the nuts. Just watch out for a couple of the new ones in the area as a small handful are blown and have some nice mods to them .

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2011 1:51 pm Reply with quote
BL96TA
GM fanatic

I expected to loose anyways so no heart break on my end, i was just wondering by how much I would loose and what i learned was the camaro pulled harder and put more car lengths on me the longer we stayed in the gas.

Ill get there though, I have a long way and just getting the bolt ons and supportive mods for heads/cam will take a little while since im a full time student now. I think a LE2 h/c set up will will be the equalizer I need against the average 2010/11 SS. I believe that set up will get my auto in the 380-400rwhp range. It's crazy though how much HP GM has those LS3s making.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2011 2:39 pm Reply with quote
dstappity
GM fanatic

I had the pleasure of racing one, they are quick but my blue truck put the smack down on it, had him by a half a car at the start (with no traction) and kept pulling further away every shift. all i have done is headers and a tune, otherwise stock ls1.

also attempted to race a 2011 gt500, that had fail written all over it before i even started. lol
PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2011 6:38 pm Reply with quote
BL96TA
GM fanatic

lol thats bad ass, what truck do you have the ls1 in?

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2011 6:41 pm Reply with quote
dstappity
GM fanatic

The aforementioned blue truck (ext. cab sonoma)
PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2011 2:48 pm Reply with quote
BL96TA
GM fanatic

Thats cool, i wouldn't expect a truck to hual ass like that. I just bought the rest of my exhaust so hopefully with in the next couple of weeks ill have my LTs on and be one step closer to buying my stall converter. Im not messing with susspension other than my relocation brakets for my LCA and adjustable panhard bar so after my stall ill be buying the parts for my cam and tune. That should put me ahead of most mild bolt on LS1's and even or a little infront of the new camaros.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2011 3:20 pm Reply with quote
zspot98
officially the 2nd fastest street car

I don't think you'll be ahead of either of the vehicles you mentioned with a cam, stall, and tune on a LT. If you think so, we can set up a little test against my car, since its a mild bolt on LS like you mentioned.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2011 4:23 pm Reply with quote
Matts94Z28
Peanut Butter Jelly Time!!!

zspot98 wrote:
I don't think you'll be ahead of either of the vehicles you mentioned with a cam, stall, and tune on a LT. If you think so, we can set up a little test against my car, since its a mild bolt on LS like you mentioned.

I got a cam, stall and tune. I will gap your red head ass any day. Sucka.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2011 4:56 pm Reply with quote
Green to da Bean
Blastin' Heaps since 2000

Matts94Z28 wrote:
zspot98 wrote:

I got a cam, stall and tune. I will gap your red head ass any day. Sucka.

+1. All my bolt on Lt1's ran pretty well (7.4-7.8 1/8th mile), figure with a came they'd be quicker lol.

"Old is a state of mind. I'm 29, I fuck college girls, work 70 hours a week, run 30 miles a week, and so far so good. I'm doing this until I die!"
-The Nightrain
PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2011 4:56 pm Reply with quote
AverageJoe
GM fanatic

zspot98 wrote:

Huge cam is not a bolt-on.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2011 5:01 pm Reply with quote
Green to da Bean
Blastin' Heaps since 2000

Silly Low Countrian's.

"Old is a state of mind. I'm 29, I fuck college girls, work 70 hours a week, run 30 miles a week, and so far so good. I'm doing this until I die!"
-The Nightrain
PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2011 6:09 pm Reply with quote
PrdatrZ
GM fanatic

Before I got the gears and tune, I destroyed one from a dig but he walked the dog on me on any roll we went from. I think it'd be pretty different now.