login.php?sid=edd548a81e5923ad5aa1d11ff694f249 profile.php?mode=register&sid=edd548a81e5923ad5aa1d11ff694f249 faq.php?sid=edd548a81e5923ad5aa1d11ff694f249 memberlist.php?sid=edd548a81e5923ad5aa1d11ff694f249 search.php?sid=edd548a81e5923ad5aa1d11ff694f249 index.php?sid=edd548a81e5923ad5aa1d11ff694f249 Timeslip Database

FastGM.com Forum Index » Tech Questions » Pinion angle VS Driveterain angle
Pinion angle VS Driveterain angle
PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2011 1:23 am Reply with quote
Matts94Z28
Peanut Butter Jelly Time!!!

Discuss.

I need to set my car up tomorrow and don't know what method to choose. Madman's way seems to be the easiest. I could knock it out with the car on the ground and not have to worry about a drive on lift.

I am limited to working in the driveway tomorrow, so keep that in mind.

Would it be wise to make sure my front joint is at 0*?

Or should I just hold out and do it by taking the measurement from the DS and subtract from the measurement of the housing?

I never though there could be so much debate in this.

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2011 9:32 am Reply with quote
AverageJoe
GM fanatic

Do it the way Madman says to. -1 or 2 pinion angle and done.

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2011 10:12 am Reply with quote
Diggler
GM fanatic

madmans way is wrong. or it used to be.... if he says to put the car on level ground and check the angle, its the wrong way to do it. but depending on the car and ride height, it may put it close. if the car is ridin' high, you may wind up with 17 degrees of pinion angle.

you dont need a drive on lift, just put the fronts on some ramps, and jackstands under the rearend housing. or 4 ramps if you have that many. if you wanted perfection, set everything to zero degrees from the engine to the rearend. then add your desired pinion angle using the torque arm.

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2011 12:24 pm Reply with quote
Matts94Z28
Peanut Butter Jelly Time!!!

I can see the error in madman method, but all of his cars work great. I think I will give that a shot.

If that does not work, I am going to do my best to get everything at 0* and go from there.

I actually found a post with both you and Shon debating his ways.

The amount of opinion is baffling.

I just want my shit to hook!

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2011 12:39 pm Reply with quote
Diggler
GM fanatic

if you dont want to adjust the engine/trans angle, then just check your angles on the rear, and the driveshaft. put them on the same plane, and then tilt the nose of the rearend down 2 or 3 degrees.

i know of one car that was setup using madman's method up here in the upstate several years ago. the guy had nothing but trouble out of it and kept breaking stuff and the car wheel hopped like a mofo. it eventually drove him to lose interest in the car and sell it to another guy. i checked it and it had like 17 degrees of pinion angle if i remember correctly. this car was slightly higher than factory ride height since it had stock springs sitting on 3.25" axle tubes. (ford 9") you could feel it vibrate when you got on it on the hwy. i believe someone in the lowcountry bought that car... '98 z28, stock shortblock, tea heads, small cam.... nbm paint with a rollbar....

i guess my thing is, why do it the wrong way? using his method, you could set it for 2 degrees, but you may have 4 or 5 or more. or less?

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2011 12:41 pm Reply with quote
Diggler
GM fanatic

Matts94Z28 wrote:
I can see the error in madman method, but all of his cars work great. I think I will give that a shot.

there is a whole lot of cars out there that haul ass but arent "right" still. you would be amazed.

FastGM.com Forum Index » Tech Questions