login.php?sid=3a51dea34d28a7b8f157ec44d6cf8a41 profile.php?mode=register&sid=3a51dea34d28a7b8f157ec44d6cf8a41 faq.php?sid=3a51dea34d28a7b8f157ec44d6cf8a41 memberlist.php?sid=3a51dea34d28a7b8f157ec44d6cf8a41 search.php?sid=3a51dea34d28a7b8f157ec44d6cf8a41 index.php?sid=3a51dea34d28a7b8f157ec44d6cf8a41 Timeslip Database

FastGM.com Forum Index » Tech Questions » Stock 4L60E Rebuild advice
Stock 4L60E Rebuild advice
PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2011 7:52 pm Reply with quote
TRex
GM fanatic

Hey guys, I'm writing today about my son's '99 Tahoe (first car). It's got the dreaded 3rd and 4th gear slip. It's a 4x4, but bone stock and we don't really need a bulletproof rebuild, just a good stock rebuild. We are going to be doing the rebuild ourselves, but I wanted to ask for any advice the experts might have with respect to kits to get, rebuilt torque converters to use, any mods to implement just to correct factory flaws, must have tools, etc. We are not in a rush and will be taking our time, so would greatly appreciate any advice you might have.

Also, for any guys with 4x4 experience, how the hell do you get the tranny out? It doesn't seem like there is room to get the trans out?? (rear crossmember is riveted in, in front of that is the torsion bar cross member and the transfer case). It doesn't look like the transfer case will slide back far enough to get the trans out without removing the torsion bar crossmember.

Thanks

Tim

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2011 9:19 pm Reply with quote
zspot98
officially the 2nd fastest street car

Send a PM to Rob (aka MonteC) and he can answer any questions you may have. He's had his hands in more transmissions than he probably cares to talk about.

I don't know how often he comes onto this site anymore but you'll have a better chance PMing him on Carolinahorsepower.com under the same screen name.

-Mike

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2011 12:42 am Reply with quote
minytrker
GM fanatic

I always split the transfer case from the trans. Its the only way I know how to get the trans out. I would turn the transfer case until it comes out. I know you said you were going to do it yourself but it would be cheaper just to pay someone to rebuild it. There are alot of tolerances to check and a few specialty tools needed also.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2011 5:50 am Reply with quote
Illusions
GM fanatic

Just hand it to Rob(MonteC) and let him work his magic. He does a great job and will take good care of you. He rebuilt mine in the Blazer and I believe we put it through hell every weekend and its still holding up.

--------------------
PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2011 7:55 am Reply with quote
MrDude_1
ask me about my narcissism

I actually have a 4x4 2001 tahoe 4L60E sitting in my garage.
It needs a rebuild, but if you want to buy it, you could rebuild it, while leaving your truck together, then swap them out in a day and resell yours to get your cash back.
less down-time on your truck.

if you're intrested, give me a call (im not on here often) 843 729 7146 -- Travis

everything i say is just my personal opinion, and in no way-shape-form or attitude represents FastGM at all..
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Stock 4L60E Rebuild advice
FastGM.com Forum Index » Tech Questions