login.php?sid=bd84a697319236d72621d6064786072c profile.php?mode=register&sid=bd84a697319236d72621d6064786072c faq.php?sid=bd84a697319236d72621d6064786072c memberlist.php?sid=bd84a697319236d72621d6064786072c search.php?sid=bd84a697319236d72621d6064786072c index.php?sid=bd84a697319236d72621d6064786072c Timeslip Database

FastGM.com Forum Index » Racers Lounge » what I've been working on
what I've been working on
PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2010 12:16 am Reply with quote
Pyro97
GM fanatic

background:
So a while back my trans started slipping on the 2-3 shift. I decided rather than just rebuild the auto I would just convert to a 6-speed since the car is more of a cruiser anyway. The AC compressor also broke about 2 years ago but since it's a convertible that I only drive in nice weather it was never a big deal. Over time the car developed a couple oil leaks and just needed a little attention here and there so I figured I'd just pull the drivetrain and tackle all these issues at once.
The project began back in October. I finally got to the point where I could begin the work. Well, with school needing much of my time and something more important needing to be done when I came home on the weekends, helping out the family and my mom being sick, the car was pretty low on the priority list and time was limited. That's why I've just now gotten as far as I have.
What's been done:
Didn't have the dinero for a nice set of heads and I've been wanting to learn how to port so I jumped right in and bought the Standard Abrasives kit. Took forever. I don't think I'd have the patience to do this with iron heads. We'll see if I helped or hurt it.

My work space

How my car looked for 6 months

Engine bay ready for paint. Relocated wires and fuel lines, holes filled etc.

Motor painted. late 60's-early 70's pontiac light metallic blue. I do have some nice valve covers but they won't clear the rockers. Gonna get out the grinder and try to make them fit otherwise I'll just polish the stockers

Engine bay done. Was originally going to do white but I figured that would be a pain to keep clean so I decided to go for an old school look, especially given the engine color.

pedals in (don't think I've ever bled so much while working on a car) and Pro 5.0 shifter.

Almost there.

As of yesterday it does run. Still can't get the damn thing into gear though so all it can do is sit there and make noise. I have no idea why. Still need to put the headlight assembly and front bumper back on (headlight bar was broken so I got a new one)
Still need to be done:
I have a LTCC (convert to LSX style coil pack ignition) I need to install when I figure out how I want to do it. I also plan to polish the alternator and a few other things.

Before pics

There is a very fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness."
PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2010 12:51 am Reply with quote
el t win
GM fanatic

Not really my thing but super clean bay. Awesome job.
PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2010 6:05 am Reply with quote
Illusions
GM fanatic

I believe it was worth the effort, that looks great!

--------------------
what I've been working on
FastGM.com Forum Index » Racers Lounge